If so, you only need to pay attention to this post, and you will have an oportunity to do it.;-)
Firstly, do you remember what is a structure?
A structure is the set of elements in a body that are intended to resist the effects of the forces that act on it.
As you know, a structure prevents a body from breaking or becoming too deformed.
Apart from that, you can follow these steps in order to make this easy structure.
- You will need the following materials:
- 26 Drinking straws.
- 1 Paperclip.
- A roll of adhesive tape.
- A pair of scissors.
- Then, you will need to make three triangles and three squares like these ones:
- In order to do it, you have to cut straws a bit.
- If you join three triangles, and three squares after that, you will have two important parts of this structure.
- Now, we are going to make a little experiment. Try to press a triangle on one corner, and do the same with a square on two of the corners. What happens in both cases?
- In this step, you probably find necessary to reinforce the structure with a diagonal stick.
- As a result, the shape of a structure determines its rigidity. To design a structure that cannot be deformed we use Triangulation. In other words, we add bars to a structure to form triangles and make them impossible to deform.
- In the following step, you have to put together these two parts, and you will have the final structure.
- Finally, put the hook on the top, and you will able to hang small loads up on it.
(You can make a hook using the paperclip).
Make your own structure and go in for a competition. If your structure can bear the heavier load, you will win an extra mark.
You can watch all the process in this visual story.